Do you have a nickname?
You can call me "Ben." Yep.
What do you like to read?
My all-time favorite writers are Virginia Woolf and Stephen King, if that gives you any idea. I love fantasy, science fiction, and horror with good language and great characters, and I love literary fiction with the same. But I also just love a great story.
What kind of stories do you write?
Mostly stories about working class mid-westerners doing unpleasant things to each other, with varying degrees of pretentiousness. Sometimes ghosts, creatures, and advanced technologies come into play.
How would you describe your personality?
Quiet unless drunk. I am a liberal from a conservative family that I love, so I get along with just about everybody. Introverted, but not shy. I have as much fun acting on stage as I do moving sets behind the curtain (though I haven't gotten to do either in years).
Just picture a barefoot redneck who fell into a pile of books and climbed out wearing hipster glasses. Like Urkle in his cool machine, but much less interesting.
What would you do this summer if you hadn't been accepted to Clarion?
The same thing I always do: work, watch movies, read, and write. I'd like to finish the short film I started last summer. It involved a stop-motion watermelon monster.
Who will miss you most while you're in San Diego (cats, kids, partner, boss, coworkers)?
I come from a large family (9 or so of us, excluding spouses/spawn), but I expect they'll be too busy raising their families to miss me too intensely.
Have you participated in an intensive writing workshop before?
Nope. Just a couple creative writing courses at Purdue.
What scares you most about Clarion?
The few classmates I've met on Twitter seem very kind, but very accomplished, with not only multiple credits to their names, but awards as well. I've been hard at this since 2007 without a single published piece, so I just hope I'm to a point where I can produce work that earns my presence at Clarion.
What do you do to relax or for recreation?
Watch movies (I watch a lot of movies, and write screenplays as well), draw (badly), read and write. Shoot short films (when I can). 3D and stop-motion animation. Programming. Kayak down narrow Indiana creeks. I used to do theatre, and miss it.
What 1-2 essential things will you bring to Clarion besides your laptop, watergun, and espresso maker?
I'm one of those assholes who writes everything longhand with a fountain pen, so I'll bring a stack of legal pads and my lapboard (which is a little too fancy a word for a clipboard I wrenched the clip off of).
What is your ideal career?
If we're talking ideal as in almost certainly won't happen, I'd like to be a novelist/screenwriter who directs a movie every few years. Maybe I also own a jetpack? But I'd settle for being a poor novelist with a part-time job. Just as long as novels are involved in there somewhere (and, yeah, screenplays too).
What else do you want us to know about you?
I don't know anybody or anything, but I love writing, and have pretty much all my life. I don't take myself seriously, but I do take the work seriously. And movies. I take movies seriously too.
as a former working-class Midwesterner I'm really looking forward to reading those stories!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Glad there will be multiple of us in the area.
Deletethe short film about the water melon monster kind of won the internet...
ReplyDeleteThanks! If I'm lucky, I might get a presentable version of it before Clarion...
DeleteI, too, would like to know more about the watermelon monster...
ReplyDeleteAlso, ooooh, another handwriter!!! Sometimes I turn to handwriting at especially hard times, although, I'm a child so I use pencil.
Isn't it great how handwriting somehow makes things easier? Pencils are lovely, but they tempt me to doodle much more than pens do. All that shading you can do.
DeleteI use mechanical pencils and I can't draw very well with them, there's not a lot of shading that can be done with those! ^^ But yea, now that you've mentioned this, I think I'm gonna handwrite some more of my dissertation to get it out!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI handwrite too in the early stages of writing, jotting down ideas, getting a character right, setting etc. But then I have to write on something 'mechanical'. It has been like this since I was 16...
ReplyDeleteSeeing it in type does make a difference, doesn't it? I always breathe a sigh of relief after I've typed/printed something the first time and it actually looks like a story/screenplay/whatever instead of a series of scribbles. Are you a typewriter guy? I've never met one, but I hear they're out there.
DeleteWhat is this watermelon video? Besides my now most highly anticipated film event of the year?
ReplyDelete& "Just picture a barefoot redneck who fell into a pile of books and climbed out wearing hipster glasses." A++
Thanks! It's a top-secret work in progress, but here's a grainy snap from the partially-built monster head as I was making it:
Deletehttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46800385/MelonMonsterTests/MelonMonster10.jpg
It's missing a few features (and a body), but that gives you an idea of the tone of the film lol.
Ooh, another fountain pen junkie! ^___^ Do you use ink cartridges or converters for refills? Any favorite ink brands or colors?
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid I'm a pretty boring fountain pen user! I do have a converter I've been curious to use, but have only ever used black Pilot Namiki cartridges. I'm very routine-based in some ways, and for years only wrote with Pilot G-2 gel pens. Now I use those for everything except fiction, and I only use the fountain pen for fiction.
DeleteI would like to find the darkest, blackest ink possible, though. What brands do you like?
I use converters in my pens, since I always planned to use bottled ink.
DeleteMy favorite ink brand is Pilot Iroshizuku, but I prefer writing in color and haven't yet purchased a black ink.
This comparison from JetPens, where I usually get ink, might be helpful:
http://www.jetpens.com/blog/black-fountain-pen-ink/pt/20
I'd also google "fountain pen inks black comparison" and following image search pics to the reviews they came from. There are many amazing fountain pen ink reviews and comparisons out there. (I love the internet.) Those factored in to a lot of the ink-buying decisions I've made where I wasn't familiar with the brand or couldn't try the ink out beforehand.