Do you have a nickname?
I tend to go by Jack.
What do you like to read?
I read a little bit of everything. My favorite genres are generally historical fiction, fantasy, and sci-fi; I also read a lot of history. I have minimal patience for the artsy and experimental as a reader, even if I can admire it from a distance and hold no particular animus for those who enjoy it.
In the nonfiction department I'm a particular fan of Roman, European, Byzantine, and Chinese history. The best history book I've read recently is definitely The Black Count, the largely unknown story of Alexander Dumas' superhero of a father, which I suggest you all read at first convenience. I also recommend Anthony Everitt's various books on Roman history.
In terms of genre short fiction, of late I've really been enjoying K.J. Parker, I can't recommend this story highly enough. I was also surprised to learn that I really like Ted Chiang, one of our incoming teachers -- I'd read several of his stories over the years and loved them in best-of collections, but never tied them all to the same person until now.
As for novels, some classic authors I enjoy in this genre include Jack Vance, Michael Moorcock, Poul Anderson and Lord Dunsany. More modern authors I've especially enjoyed include Scott Lynch, Patrick Rothfuss, and George RR Martin. Guilty pleasures include Jim Butcher and Brandon Sanderson. I deeply dislike Robert Jordan (and will fight you).
What kind of stories do you write?
I like to write stories with strong narrative drive and exterior action -- almost always genre. High fantasy and 'sword & sorcery' type stories are a particular focus, but I also like drawing on unique settings from real-world history. I also wrote a YA novel set in Renaissance Florence that got an agent but unfortunately never sold.
How would you describe your personality?
My sense of humor is dry, and I suppose I'd use the phrase 'personable introvert' to describe the way I get on with others. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I err on the polite side of things (but that doesn't mean I'll spare your story criticism). I tend to be a bit goofier around people I know well.
What would you do this summer if you hadn't been accepted to Clarion?
I'd likely have been engaged in an immersion language training program in either Farsi or Arabic, as part of my educational/professional/master's degree goals.
Who will miss you most while you're in San Diego (cats, kids, partner, boss, coworkers)?
Most of the people who might miss me have encouraged me to go!
Have you participated in an intensive writing workshop before?
Nothing beyond undergraduate-level writing courses.
What scares you most about Clarion?
Tight deadlines. I'm a little on the slow side as a writer, something I'm hoping to improve as part of the workshop.
What do you do to relax or for recreation?
I read a lot, like most everyone coming in, I'd imagine. I'm trying to get back into weightlifting after having not done it for a half a year or so. I also play more video and roleplaying games than I would admit to in polite society. I also used to do saber fencing.
What 1-2 essential things will you bring to Clarion besides your laptop, watergun, and espresso maker?
Probably I'll be bringing the collected short fiction of most of our instructors.
What is your ideal career?
Diplomat, interstellar dictator, film director, or NYT #1 best-selling author.
What else do you want us to know about you?
My previous professional pursuits mostly involved being a low-level slave in the Hollywood television industry, and I've previously worked for a literary agent and completed the Columbia Summer Publishing Program, so I know a bit about how the professional side of film & fiction work.
Oh, saber fencing, how neat!! My dad tried to teach me the basics of foil fencing once--Riverside has a class but it's never at a time I can make. And YES high fantasy yaaayyyy! ^________^
ReplyDeleteThe Black Count was on my reading list, it had to do with something I was writing at the time set in 18th century Italy...
ReplyDeleteI started The Black Count; put it on hold for Clarion though. >_>
ReplyDeleteFavorite video games? Favorite Roleplaying systems?
I'm curious about your experience in the Hollywood television industry.