Do you have a nickname?
None that I'm aware of.
What do you like to read?
Lately Science Fiction, historically Fantasy, the news when I feel the need to be depressed, plus lots of eclectic/technical/science stuff in between.
What kind of stories do you write?
As per the reading, lately Science Fiction, historically Fantasy.
How would you describe your personality?
Easy going, casual, friendly, but also grumpy, intense and/or impassioned when the situation calls for it.
What would you do this summer if you hadn't been accepted to Clarion?
Not wondering how the hell I got into Clarion, all the while staring guardedly over the rim of my laptop. Instead, probably just wandering the warm summer streets, intensely thinking about but not actually doing much writing.
Who will miss you most while you're in San Diego (cats, kids, partner, boss, coworkers)?
Significant other, the City, and yes coding too. But really, boss? Who misses their boss?
Have you participated in an intensive writing workshop before?
I organize a pretty active/fun/casual-but-intense critique writing group in London, but that's about as close to the the abyss as I've been.
What scares you most about Clarion?
Everything! Validation vs. Failure. Genius vs. Jealousy. Bright lights shone into dark corners. One bathroom for three people. All of it.
What do you do to relax or for recreation?
I don't relax, just do things to distract myself from things I should be doing, all the while fretting about not doing the things I actually want/should/could be doing instead. It's complicated.
What 1-2 essential things will you bring to Clarion besides your laptop, watergun, and espresso maker?
I'm coming in light, so probably just a bunch of distracted thoughts. But yea, watergun!
What is your ideal career?
Um, seriously? I'll just say "ditto" on the assumption of what everybody else (apart from that one inevitable demagogue) will say.
What else do you want us to know about you?
Irritated by people who use words like "demagogue". I live in London, but I'm Canadian (forewarned in case you were expecting a cute British accent). If I'm not the oldest person at Clarion, I'll be simultaneously shocked/relieved (and yes maybe a bit disappointed).
we have waterguns from days of yore in our collection of things left by previous Clarionites for Clarionites of the future. last used I believe in an epic Clarion 2014 water fight with Kim Stanley Robinson and Bob Crais
ReplyDeleteO CANADA! I lived in Halifax for my undergrad, then in Hamilton ^.^ Still vying to go back, somehow.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like there's a pretty good age spread in this group--I think we're in for some really cool discussions this summer. I'm excited to meet everyone.
ReplyDeleteI lived in London for a bit, then in Reading. I am not saying that I miss the appalling weather, but watching Sherlock or Doctor Who does give me some strange facial tremors that could be nostalgia. Or the inset of Parkinson.
ReplyDelete"What scares you most about Clarion?
ReplyDelete...One bathroom for three people." ~Grant
LOL.
@Kathleen ... so not LOL. ;)
ReplyDeleteNever thought about "comments" here ... just noticed them, so catching up now.
ReplyDeleteBut yea, Canadian in the UK. I always joke that "I moved here for the weather," but only folks from Canada seem to get that's supposed to be funny. Maybe I'm just telling it wrong. Regardless, dreary skies & rain = more time or at least a good excuse for reading/writing.
In that context, a writing workshop in sunny San Diego seems almost cruel.
*CACKLES* I used to compare Halifax weather to English weather all the time... "It's not BAD... it's just miserable."
DeleteSan Diego would be a lovely place to go writing outdoors, though.