Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2016

Hello from Emily


Do you have a nickname?

Sadly, no, just Emily. 

What do you like to read?

I've been trying to read a wider variety of books the past year, but overall my tastes usually lean towards magical realism, literary fantasy, slipstream, interstitial works, etc. Some of my favorite authors are Kelly Link, Karen Russell and Karen Joy Fowler. Books that I read recently and loved are Catherynne Valente's Radiance, Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains of the Day, Fowler's We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, and Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan novels. 

What kind of stories do you write?
I tend to write weird, quietly fantastical stories, often with a touch of the macabre or melancholy. I love writing about friendships between women, loss, loneliness, kids trying to figure out how to grow up, and regret, although I'm trying to branch out to new themes. Favorite/common motifs that you'll see in my stories include weird animals, weird museums, the aesthetic of the Victorian occult, stories taking place in early 20th century Europe, and characters with plenty of fears and anxieties. 

How would you describe your personality?

Let's just say that I don't have to do much research to write anxious characters. Seriously, aside from my nervous energy and jumpy nature, I would say that I'm a pretty friendly person who's becoming more and more extroverted as the years go by but who still needs to hole up with a book and a bowl of popcorn (seriously, I love popcorn) every once in a while. I like to think that I'm good at comforting people, so, if you hit the fourth week wall at Clarion and need a sympathetic ear, I'm your woman. I'm also known for my fierce and random obsessions.

I have a flair for the dramatic.


And also the absurd. 

What would you do this summer if you hadn't been accepted to Clarion?

I've been living in Berlin for the past year and a half. I'm moving back to New England (my native land is the Live Free or Die state) in the fall, but if I hadn't been accepted to Clarion, I likely would have spent the summer in Berlin, drinking cheap beer and buying old housewares from the GDR at flea markets. 

Who will miss you most while you're in San Diego (cats, kids, partner, boss, coworkers)?

Probably my husband (we just got married in April). Also my parents, who never quite adjusted to the whole our-daughter's-living-on-another-continent thing. 

Have you participated in an intensive writing workshop before?

Yes, I went to the Odyssey Writing Workshop in Manchester, N.H. three years ago. It was all kinds of crazy and awesome.

What scares you most about Clarion?

I wrote in my Clarion application that I feel that there's an intangible quality missing from my writing, and that at the workshop, I want to find that intangible quality. I'm most scared that I'll leave the workshop still completely lost on this intangible quality question. Oh, and also, that I'll find out at the workshop that I secretly hate writing. Oh, and ALSO, I need like ten hours of sleep per night to function, so, that's going to be a challenge. 

What do you do to relax or for recreation?

Run. Or bike. Or walk. Seriously, I need physical activity every day, otherwise I go a little nuts. 

What 1-2 essential things will you bring to Clarion besides your laptop, watergun, and espresso maker?

Definitely a pot so I can make popcorn on the stove (see above). Also, a few favorite books for inspiration, and a poster or two, because i'm a compulsive decorator. 

What is your ideal career?

In an ideal world, I'd love to be a successful (both critically and financially) novelist and short story writer who also taught creative writing at the university level. 

What else do you want us to know about you?

I've been told that when I'm speaking, I use far too many phrases and sentence constructions from the 19th century. I can write in any environment, no matter how loud and disruptive (a skill learned from working in a newsroom with some very rowdy colleagues for two years). I love to knit, read about the Romanov dynasty, and buy new notebooks.

15 comments:

  1. Hi Emily. You know Elena Ferrante, I really think should read her since I come from her same Neapolitan area, and.... the other things we have in common... Maybe I will read her books just before I come to Clarion (the 18hours flight looks rather promising).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I forgot to ask: are you Italo-american? If yes, how many generation back and where from? I am asking because some relatives I have in America are called Catanea, fairly close to your surname... Best, G.

      Delete
    2. Hi Giovanni! I really recommend Ferrante's books; I think you'll find them especially interesting since you're from that area. And yes, I am Italian-American, on my dad's dad's side. My great-grandparents came from southern Italy; my great-grandfather came from a small fishing village on the Adriatic coast, while my great-grandmother came from Naples. Both went to America around 1910 and settled in New York. Could we possibly be related?!

      Delete
    3. No, I don't think so. My relatives moved from Avellino in the 1930ies, so that would rule it out. However, we still have a 'neapolitan' common ground. Have you ever been to Naples? It's quite a special place...

      Delete
    4. I've never been, no. I really want to go to southern Italy, though. I've only been to Rome and points north.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stories sound amazing! I'm excited to workshop with you.

    Popcorn is also one of my favorite things (popcorn and tea: my not-quite-intuitive go-to combination snack for chilly afternoons and hard days). What are your toppings of choice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kendra! I just opened your Toast story; it looks awesome and I'm looking forward to reading it.

    Lately I've been getting into putting curry powder on my popcorn, although in the past, I've just been a simple oil-and-salt girl. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current favorite is a blend of nutritional yeast, parmesan cheese, seasoning salt and pepper. Curry powder sounds amazing. Or a sweet curry? Mmm....

      Delete
    2. Ooh, you're fancy. We will have to share these recipes at Clarion. We should spend the six weeks experimenting with different kinds of popcorn instead of writing. :)
      Also, I just read your mermaid story, and now I'm going to be haunted all day. In other words, I loved it.

      Delete
    3. I just read your ghost girl story and loved it, too--haunting, indeed! This is going to be such a great summer.

      Also, YES to popcorn experiments! I've long wanted to host a popcorn fest--everyone brings their own toppings and presents different mixes (maybe with cute themed names, maybe as a contest?).

      Delete
  5. Hey! I just taught Remains of the Day in my intro writing workshop this semester! I love that book. My heart breaks for Stevens every time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh me too! His heartbreak really sneaks up on you, too, doesn't it? He's so controlled for most of the book. And now, for the evil writer question: how to break my readers' hearts that effectively?!

      Delete
  6. Eeeeee! I'm so excited to have you as a classmate, after having you as a TOC-mate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Can't wait to meet in person. :)

      Delete