Do you have a nickname?
Well the short version of Giovanni is Gio, which in English sounds like Joe. An old friend of mine used to call me Jove, which was cool. Or you can call me Zeus, it's fine, really.
What do you like to read?
1800 classics, fantasy, old fashioned weird tales (and new weird), tales of magic, folklore, myths, scientific books about the brain. A lot of historical non-fiction lately, with some biographies of writers (I like Chesterton's). Some non-fiction about Taoism and Buddhism. Graphic novels also.
What kind of stories do you write?
My short stories are closer to the European weird tale. My longer works are a bit more adventurous and less self conscious than my short stories (god-knows-why).
How would you describe your personality?
I donno, eerie-going? I am what evolved from a shy/introvert teenager with a taste for the flamboyant and the theatrical. So what does that make me, flamboyantly shy?
What would you do this summer if you hadn't been accepted to Clarion?
Begin to write a novel, walk at least 100 km, continuing to write the aforementioned novel.
Who will miss you most while you're in San Diego (cats, kids, partner, boss, coworkers)?
My geraniums? Or the Sweaty Hand Under My Bed, possibly.
Have you participated in an intensive writing workshop before?
Yep, the Binger in Amsterdam, for screenwriting (I used to screenwrite; nasty habit). Quite simply it was one of the best times of my life. Exquisite people and superb enthusiasm, which is kind of what I expect here.
What scares you most about Clarion?
That given that I am now in my forties when I talk the other students will all sit around me, chin on their fists, and ask me how was life before Twitter.
*Addendum: also, I'm not a mother-tongue English writer. I will be slower and make more mistakes than anyone in the course, and even then, the result might not look great. I am not pinning my self down, it's just the brutal truth. That scares me, a bit.
*Addendum: also, I'm not a mother-tongue English writer. I will be slower and make more mistakes than anyone in the course, and even then, the result might not look great. I am not pinning my self down, it's just the brutal truth. That scares me, a bit.
What do you do to relax or for recreation?
Do I relax? (I actually read: what do you do for procreation... ah well.) That would be reading. Did I mention walking? Just in case: walking.
What 1-2 essential things will you bring to Clarion besides your laptop, watergun, and espresso maker?
My intolerance to lactose and my well-known gloom. No, ok, a wheel of parmesan cheese the size of Arkhansas and the whole italian cuisine.
What is your ideal career?
Writing. Actually no: walking. And when I stop, writing.
What else do you want us to know about you?

I don't think I've read much of the European weird tale, so I'm looking forward to reading your work!
ReplyDeleteGood grief, I feel now I represent Calvino, Jean Ray, Angela Carter and guys/ gals that are a few hundred miles ahead of me...
ReplyDeleteAhah, I have read Calvino! IF ON A WINTER'S NIGHT A TRAVELER was my favourite required reading in undergrad (class on postmodernism) (sadly the only Calvino I've read).
DeleteThe Baron On Trees is probably the warmest and truest of his books, to me. His short stories are... well, truly amazing in style and concept. But the most mind-blowing book, and the closest to SF, is Invisible Cities. Really, a must read.
DeleteI will have to look for The Baron On Trees! The Wiki summary sounds very promising, and I love the adjective "warm" to describe a book. Are there particular translations you'd recommend?
DeleteMmm not sure, I remember John Gardner praised it for the English speaking Lit world, and I remember seeing it at Waterstones... but other then that I donno, sorry...
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI loved INVISIBLE CITIES. CASTLE OF CROSSED DESTINIES twisted my brain into knots...
DeleteI love Calvino! I'm glad to understand better the landscape in which your fiction dwells. ++ no pressure, but excited to see "flamboyantly shy" in action (what a great descriptor!).
ReplyDeleteThank you Kendra! You on the other hand have the name of my favorite italian SF/new weird comic book heroine, which I read when I was in my twenties (between Pleistocene and Jurassic).
ReplyDeleteThat's great! What's the book/series?
DeleteIt was a comic book series, apparently SF but actually very dreamy, 'new weird' we would say nowadays. The main characters were two girls, Bianca the sensitive ESPer and Kendra the bad-ass fighter... Hard to believe it now, but I was part of the 'fan-club' and met with its weird fan-base. See here below and use google translate: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESP_(fumetto)
DeleteAnd here some pictures... http://www.nonsolomanga.it/imm_fumetti1/esp/esp12_27.jpg
http://www.mauriziodivincenzo.net/portfolio/pages/tav09.jpg
See here: http://digilander.libero.it/emago/bek.jpg
ReplyDeleteAnn and Jeff VanderMeer's massive and brilliant 2012 anthology The Weird includes a sampling of European stories, most of which were new to me, including some appearing in English translation for the first time.
ReplyDeleteI know Andy. I must say, there is an Italian author there I never heard about, which was surprising...
ReplyDelete