Do you have a
nickname?
Nothing that’s stuck.
What do you like to
read?
Magical realism, particularly the contemporary American
brand—Aimee Bender and Miranda July are my jam (++George Saunders, Kelly Link, Sherman
Alexie, etc)—and literary fiction. I’m a youth librarian, so I also read heaps
of YA (and picture books to my friends when we’ve been drinking—watch out).
What kind of stories
do you write?
Weird, mostly. I hover around the intersection of
lovely/funny/sad. Sometimes near apocalyptic mermaids.
How would you
describe your personality?
Outgoing introvert (or maybe just a regular kinda ‘vert with
a healthy dose of social anxiety). I have a tremendous fondness for kids and
campiness and farmers’ markets and learning. I feel immensely alive when I’m
outside or making something with my hands. I get really troubled by problems I can't solve (lately: rape culture). I have a propensity for blurting out
my feelings. I wish I were less impatient. I believe deeply that life is
amazing—hard and tricky and riddled with unfairness, but also insane and cool
and beautiful and so terribly unlikely. I am so happy to be in it. I am so
happy to be meeting you.
What would you do this summer if you hadn't
been accepted to Clarion?
Working in the teen centers in Austin’s public libraries,
building an art car with my Burning Man camp, drafting a second novel.
Who will miss you
most while you're in San Diego (cats, kids, partner, boss, coworkers)?
My partner, Blake. We got engaged a week ago, and have been a
socially unacceptable puddle of eye-gazing ever since; Clarion will force me
back into a state of productivity, I hope.
(I’ve also got a pretty solid friend group in Austin who threatened to disown me for leaving for six weeks. TOO BAD YOU LIKE ME, SUCKERS.)
Have you participated
in an intensive writing workshop before?
No—I got my MFA in fiction, so I’m familiar with
workshopping, but nothing so intensive as six weeks of day-in, day-out
workshop. (Are we going to kill each other? I’m nervous that we’re going to
kill each other.)
What scares you most
about Clarion?
Honestly? That the other kids won’t like me—all of the first
day of school stuff. Meeting new people is hard and scary!
I guess I ought to be worried about the fact that I’m
really, really new to genre-writing, but everyone here seems like generous and
forgiving people. As we must be: shitty drafts happen; we cannot be afraid to
produce them or we will produce nothing.
What do you do to
relax or for recreation?
Read, make lists, go on walks. I love letter-writing,
crafting and baking (my mom’s a pastry chef—it’s really grounding for me). I
have a lot of trouble doing nothing.
What 1-2 essential
things will you bring to Clarion besides your laptop, watergun, and espresso
maker?
Camping hammock and a tea kettle.
What is your ideal
career?
Teen or children’s librarian, cranking out novels on the side.
What else do you want
us to know about you?
I get antsy if I’m indoors when the weather’s nice.
I’m moderately obsessed with mermaids.
I do a mean storytime.
ETA: I taught creative writing at an alternative high school for two years, and partway through, implemented a "self-deprecation" jar in my novel-writing class. The rule of the jar: if you say something bad about yourself or your work in class (that self-effacing, "Well, I was really tired when I wrote this/my characters are shit but/I'm not good at this but" kind of preface), then you have to write three nice things about yourself and put them in the jar.
I will cheerlead you with the heart of a dragon.
Beware.
ETA: I taught creative writing at an alternative high school for two years, and partway through, implemented a "self-deprecation" jar in my novel-writing class. The rule of the jar: if you say something bad about yourself or your work in class (that self-effacing, "Well, I was really tired when I wrote this/my characters are shit but/I'm not good at this but" kind of preface), then you have to write three nice things about yourself and put them in the jar.
I will cheerlead you with the heart of a dragon.
Beware.

Oooh! I love this jar idea! I did a summer camp once and we had "bags of warm fuzzies"; everybody had a bag taped to a wall, and folks would anonymously drop in bits of paper with nice things.
ReplyDeleteI have a Squishable Cthulhu in my office which I use for cheerleading myself (and my students)! I shall bring it.
Warm fuzzies! What a cute idea! Everyone in my class was plenty supportive of each other--it was the negative self-talk I had to stamp out. (You can see pictures of the jar here, complete with positive-self-talk cow puns: https://theamazingskybrary.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/my-last-day-at-skybridge-a-reflection/)
DeleteBut maybe Clarion warm fuzzies wouldn't be such a bad idea....
OMG the jar is amazing! *_* I also think a Clarion jar might be a good idea.
DeleteI actually read: "I taught creative writing in an alternate universe", which would have been cool.
ReplyDeleteI second the jar thing, though after the first billion self deprecating remarks I think I should get something like a teddy bear, I mean, everybody should...
That school sometimes felt like an alternate universe!
DeleteIf the group deems it necessary, I would be honored to make us a jar.
Mermaid story in the Toast! That's badass. :) I'm looking forward to meeting you.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the engagement! ^_^
ReplyDeleteYou sound fun.
Are you bringing stationery with you for letter writing?
I have always aspired to be someone who owns really cool stationery! But I have to confess: I usually just doodle in the margins and hope for the best.
DeleteAre you an Enviable Stationery Human? (Not to be confused for an Enviably Stationary Human.)